As a blogger/webmaster/ business owner who host a site on wordpress we have no idea about the permailnk structure at the start. With passion and enthusaism you must have wrtiten a lot of posts. Later after your research you must have find the right permalink structure, So you’re in a mood to fix the issue.
It can be easily fixed with by accessing the .htaccess code in the website. But it’s a mumbo-jumbo for a begineer. Regex code, etc that sounds like a rocket science to you, ignore that part.
I will show you the easiets way to fix it.
- First, find out the permalink structure of your site. To find out that, open your recent blog post and observe the link. It might be like the following
Or anything else, find it out and note it down.
- The second thing you have to do is, open your cpanel. Look for file manager option and then click on it. You will be asked a prompt box, where you can choose the website to explore. Don’t get excited and open.
Since we need to find .htacess file. That little fellow is invisbile in the file manager. For that you need to tick a option when you see a prompt box.
“Show Hidden Files (Dotfiles)” .
Didnt’ understood what I’m talking? No problem check the below image.
- Once you opened the file manager with the “show hidden files” option ticked, You will get into file manager. There you can see our guy .htaccess. Say “hi there” to him.
- Open that file with the text editor.
- All this time, I was talking to a begineer who have no idea. So sit back and read, the geek stuff comes here.
- You need to add some code to fix the issue right? For that head over to this link https://yoast.com/research/permalink-helper.php
- There you need to enter and get the code, For that watch the below video to get a super clear idea
- Understood? Grab the code and paste in the .htaccess file. Save it, and test the new URL structure in your wordpress site.
- Worked? have yourself a cofee! You’re a DIY person.
- Didn’t worked? No worries, Hit me up.. let me see what I can do.
Between, I forgot ot mention. 301 redirect is a good method and you won’t loose any SEO traffic as well as backlinks juice etc. So feel free to try out.
Hope this little hack helped you in solving the issue.